Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Balcony

Note: If the lady at the garden center says you need three bags of soil, you need six. She may be a nursery expert with a thumb so green it's gold, and I may be a dilettante with a ficus plant that has been dying for two years, but trust me on this.





Also, if you decide to try going somewhere closer to home to get the three bags of missing soil after work one night and call ahead and press "1" to hear the store hours, don't assume the urban hipster garden store will be open during above mentioned hours. It may decide to close at any hour, really, citing "heat." In July.

But don't you just love my whiskey-barrel planters? They were free!

2 comments:

Botany's Desire said...

Hi there,
Not sure how I came across your blog but here I am. I have a small suggestion for your balcony. I think you should add one of the nice outdoor rugs that look like they are actually for the inside. They are very inexpensive and very easy to clean.

Also,If you are looking for an inexpensive way to make your balcony look a bit lush without spending lots of money. I suggest planting a nice size plastic urn filled with basil, lemon thyme, mint and rosemary. Get the tall rosemary not the hanging kind and put it in the center and then have the other herbs surround the rosemary around the sides and let them grown sort of hanging. You can use them in delicious summer drinks as well as cooking.

The other thing is your patio will smell just fabulous.

Good luck with your condo decorating.

Tess said...

Thanks Botany.I'm a fan of the rugs you're talking about, but my fiance likes the metal industrial look of the balcony. so that one's still up in the air. I'm intrigued by the idea of the herb-filled urn. I'd love to smell rosemary and mint out there instead of...Adams Morgan. I think i'll give it a shot.